City War Memorial, Nottingham

18697476_379548489113220_1074619460_o

The City War Memorial, Nottingham is the main War Memorial for the City of Nottingham. 

The Memorial was designed by T. Wallis Gordon, Nottingham City Engineer and Surveyor.

The foundation stone was laid by Edward, Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII), on 1 August 1923. Constructed of Portland stone, the gateway is 46 ft (14 m) high and 58 ft (18 m) long, the central arch is 27 ft (8.2 m) high and 16 ft (4.9 m) wide; the arches on either side are 20 ft (6.1 m) and 8 ft (2.4 m) wide. The flanking colonnades, are 20 ft (6.1 m) high and 86 ft (26 m) long. The walls on either side extend the overall length to about 252 ft (77 m).

It was unveiled by Edmund Huntsman, Mayor of Nottingham, on 11 November 1927. The service of dedication was carried out by James Gordon, then Vicar of St Mary’s Church, Nottingham.

It was later adapted to commemorate those people who died in the Second World War.

 

18676733_379548499113219_1640898967_o

City of Nottingham
In ever grateful Memory of the Men of Nottingham who gave their lives for their King and Country in the Great War. 1914 – 1918. Erected by their fellow Citizens
Vivit Post Funera Virtus

(Wikipedia)

18697779_379548479113221_1881642172_o

18676777_379548599113209_280012492_o

The Memorial Gardens, commemorating the dead of World War 1, are early 20th-century gardens laid out on land donated by Sir Jesse Boot. They lie on the Victoria Embankment of the River Trent and incorporate the city’s war memorial in the form of an arch and terrace.

18720900_379548602446542_1578634176_o

The earthworks of Victoria Embankment were constructed between 1898 and 1901. The adjacent Meadows Recreation Ground was opened in May 1906. A further area of land was bought in 1920 by Sir Jesse Boot and donated to the Corporation of Nottingham to be preserved as open space and a memorial site in perpetuity. The Memorial Gardens were laid out by Mr J. Parker, the Superintendent of the Nottingham Public Parks Committee, and opened in 1927. ( Memorial Gardens

18697812_379548902446512_959584386_o

18721357_379548609113208_1968067698_o

18698747_379548629113206_1389306887_o

18697642_379548632446539_934315356_o

18698604_379548662446536_2023144993_o

20170524_202700-COLLAGE

18698598_379548839113185_171317429_o

18698614_379548872446515_412670903_o

18698598_379548802446522_1816130814_o

18676736_379548782446524_2065601229_o

Advertisements